Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Ben Hawkins

I got a phone call from my friend Christy yesterday afternoon. She let me know that a mutual friend (Rachel) and her husband (Ben) had been in a car accident and that Ben had actually passed away.

They had hit a patch of ice on the road and wrecked their car. They were fine, and when they got out of the car, another car came and hit the same patch of ice. The car headed straight for Rachel and Ben managed to get her out of the way before the car struck and hit him, killing him.

I am deeply saddened by this news. Rachel and I worked together practically full time for 2 years, and she is an amazing photographer and a very loving friend. Her husband was also a good friend who I saw often at get-togethers. I feel deeply for her because Ben was Rachel's whole world.

In the long run, the only way to honor someone who has been so tragically killed is to help ensure that his family make it through the tough times and to ensure that our own lives are being lived well.

In examination, I feel like we are doing the best we can in the Anderson household. Jared is doing so much better and is well enough to do anything he wants to do, which has not been the case in the past. I get the chance to be a stay-at-home-mom with Daphne, and I get to see her learn and grow, I cannot think of a more fulfilling life than that.

Ben and Rachel are in my thoughts, and I hope there is something I can do to help Rachel out in these tough times.

No comments: