Monday, April 07, 2008

Greece or No Greece

I am SO close to being done with school, that I am excited about the prospect every day. I still have 2-3 semesters left though, and I wake up almost every morning, and I brainstorm about how I could possibly get them all finished.

A few weeks ago, I got an email from my adviser that told me that if I took my current path that I would only have 19 credits left, and the classes would need to be in "whatever" as long as they were 300 level and above classes.

This got me thinking. I had gotten a lot of credit from the Aegean Center in Greece toward my degree, and if I were to go back, I could easily get 19 credits in "whatever upper division classes."

The more I thought about it, the better the idea was. Jared, Daphne and I could all go to Greece. I could do a WHOLE semester and get the credit I need to graduate.

You see, of the 3 semesters that I did attend, I ended up either going late or coming home early for all of them. I never completed a whole semester. I left so abruptly for the last semester that I never got to feel like I actually completed the time over there.

The only thing was, that it wasn't a good idea for one reason--the deal breaking reason-- MONEY.

The value of the dollar has declined so heavily that school in Greece went from 7000 dollars per semester to 13,000 per semester really quickly. So, even with some financial aid, we were still going to be short 5-6 thousand dollars.

And so, what once was a fabulous dream and a wonderful idea is now thwarted. It sure was fun to dream about again.

Two more boring but free semesters at PSU, here we come.

No comments: