Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Milky Way

A friend of mine recommended that I head up to take a look at a goat yesterday.

After the trip, and a little bit of thinking, I finally went back up and got the goat. I am going to board her at my friends house in exchange for help with his own goats and other projects he has going around his farm. It seems to be he perfect arrangement.

Her name is Milky Way. She is a first year freshener. The lady she came from, breeds Nubians and hand raises them for show. I have never seen such a tame and tolerant goat, which makes me very happy. The goats at my friends house all have pretty tolerant temperaments also, and it is nice to not cause more havoc in the herd with a stubborn goat (stubborn goats are easy to find).

I have now milked Milky for two days in a row. She still has some kids on her, so I am getting a decent amount of milk considering that. I don't plan to push her too hard, especially considering that I am only milking her once a day right now.

Other than the fact that I am out of practice, things are going well. She is very patient for a goat that has never been milked before considering that I spent a good deal of time fumbling around getting back into the groove of it both times I milked her. It can only get better.

It is sure nice to have fresh goat milk in the house. I promised Jared some yogurt, and I will have enough milk to do that after I milk today.

I am a very happy girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goat milk, goat milk, I want goat milk!