Saturday, April 05, 2008

Why We Don't Want TV

I decided a month or so ago that we were going to cancel our TV subscription and we just followed through with it last week.

I do have to admit that when I wake up in the middle of the night not able to sleep, it was nice to watch the Food Network for a while, but I'm sure I can find something else to do if I have to (Last night, I got up and did research on the Internet).

It will take some getting used to, but we are going to be just fine.

TV is like a vortex that sucks you in at times, and when you watch it is never ending. You can sit down and watch TV go on and on and on and not ever get up because it just keeps providing something for you to lazily do. We DO enjoy movies, and we have a nice DVD collection because at least when we watch a movie, it is often turned into a family event, something that we do together.

The director of the Aegean Center once put it to me this way: why would you want to sit down and watch TV? When you do that, you are watching other people "live" their lives. Why don't you go out and create a story of your own? Why don't you live your own life and make it more interesting than anything you can see on a dumb little box. He was all about finding new activities and adventures, and he was the one that led me into the Greek countryside to discover so many, many wonderful things I never would have discovered sitting on my lazy bum.

I do not like the effect that TV has on children. I want to be the kind of parent that can provide wonderful and exciting experiences that help my children learn about the world around them. I want to be creative about finding things that my kids can do while I need to do something else rather than sit them down in front of the TV.

I think that kids that watch a lot of TV lack experience in life. Also, they take on a kind of crazy other personality where they go wild. Most of the TV shows for kids show such a short attention span that they move so fast the kids become transfixed.

I want to be able to raise my kids, not my TV. Hopefully, my decision will allow me to come up with creative things to do that help us live a better life.

Thanks for listening.

Backdated within rules: Daphne was especially cranky last night which forced me to get creative.

No comments: