Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Chicken House

Since I got the chicks 6 weeks ago, I have been working to build them a chicken coop.

Back in November, Jared helped me get a design for it and I have been slowly working on it since then. We got the wood and cut it all up about a month ago when Jared's dad was here.

I have been working on it here and there since then also. There seemed to be a lot of steps that needed to be done before this or that could happen.

Apparently, there are a few things that we overlooked here and there in the design, so we have had to alter it as we went along.

Yesterday, I finally bit the bullet and finished all the major parts of it. There are nesting boxes in it now, and I high up board for them to sit on if they want to. I even installed boards for their food and water to sit up on so they don't get it quite so dirty.

Jared picked up some dowels at the store yesterday, so the next step is to install them and then I just have to put a latch on the door and put a light out there to help keep them warm.

The chickens are moving outside today! That is a very exciting thing indeed. I will only keep the ducks inside in the bathtub until I can figure out what else to do. The meat chicks will most likely all hang out in the run I built during the day and go in a box at night until I slaughter them. There are only 6 weeks left for that. I just can't mix everyone together because they get different feed. Perhaps I can work something else out...

This is a big project that is almost done. Now I just have to get some other basic things done and I can start planting in the garden, which will be very nice.

No comments: