Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ready for a Fire?

On Friday, our dishwasher completely died, and we were having some other electrical problems in the house, so we waited out the weekend and I called an electrician on Monday.

It turns out that the circuit that runs many things in the kitchen had failed. The electrician couldn't find the wiring for it, so he had to set up an entirely new circuit. While in the process, he discovered that our other electrical problems were due to the fact that some rats, yes RATS had chewed through the insulation of wires and they were sparking and running hot under our house. That's a pretty scary thought, and considering the fact that I've been on a kick to get things organized and sorted out, it made me even more resolute in my decision to get a few things done.

I need to finish uploading all of my photos to an off source site. This is taking forever, but I will sleep so much better when this is done.

I then need to take our video camera around the house and document all of the things that we have. I went over our insurance policy lately to make sure that we had enough coverage. My insurance agent reminded me that even though we have the coverage, we will not be reimbursed for personal property unless we have a way to prove what we own. This is now on the top of my list of things to do.

As soon as my house is clean again I am going to go through our entire house and document our belongings to make sure that we would not be at a total loss if there were a fire. It's better to spend the time to be prepared and never need it than to lose everything.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Yaaah, rats are so UCKY. Good thing you're so on top of it!