Wednesday, October 31, 2007

In Honor of Jeanie Brockman Molt

My mother died when I was 3 years old. That makes it 20 years ago. Where does the time go?

She died on October 27, 1987 and was buried on October 31, 1987. That is 20 years ago today exactly.

I used to hate to celebrate Halloween because it was the day that she was buried on, but now that I have a daughter, I am trying to make new traditions and find new joy in the holiday. I think that I am being very successful in that.

Though I don't have many memories of her, I do remember talking about Halloween.

So, today, in honor of my dear late mother, I have 4 stems of snap dragons and a single rose sitting on my dining table in a vase.

Why snap dragons? Because she was the one that taught me how to make them talk.

Though we got such a short time together on this earth, it was lovely, and I know how much work she put into being a mother. It is only now in perspective as I have become a mother and I thank her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW, I have just spent the last 1 1/2 hrs reading and catching up on your blog...I thought I had lost track of you and am glad I finally got around to cleaning out the old e-mail address and found your Christmas letter. I lost you there for awhile. But this entry stopped me cold....Interesting how you remember the day she died, and I remember the day she was born, that little groundhog! Leo called me on Feb 2 and asked me if I thought Jeannie had seen her shadow...since she was the baby we all knew her birthday, even if we didn't know each others. We were all there when she came. Life is certainly interesting, wierd, and unpredictable.