Wednesday, October 24, 2007

How I Lucked Out in Life

Sitting from the vantage that I now have, I don't know how I could have lucked out better in life.

I got to grow up on our ranch in Eastern Oregon, which imparted various morals and work ethics in me that I have been able to use for the rest of my life. I was lucky that my grandmother was so kind and wanted to raise me after my mom died. Though life in Burns had its ups and downs, I am so glad that I grew up there.

My grandma knew what a failure the education system was, and she was willing to help me figure out how to afford to go to Delphi. She is a very strong woman, and even though I am not a great scientist or brilliant engineer, that education was priceless to me. It turned me into the person that I want to be. It was the best possible opportunity I could have gotten. People thought that she was crazy for wanting to send me, but she was brilliant.

After Delphi, I met Jared, and I was lucky enough to catch him permanently in life. He is the most amazing person. I hear of other people having knock-down fights or various problems in their relationships. Though we do our fair share of voice battles, :) they work out fairly easily. He has been battling with colitis for the entire time that I have known him. Sometimes it kicks his butt and sometimes he kicks its butt. Honestly, I don't think he has ever lost. He is a fighter. When we first started dating, he told me that he didn't want to see anyone until he got well. I told him that he could break up with me, but not for that reason. Needless to say, we are still together, and apparently, he appreciates that bold move on my end. Even though it has been up and down, it has been a great pleasure to take care of him. Many of my views and firm beliefs about being a wife and taking care of a family have come about because he has required as much love and care that I could give. I don't mind it one bit. It suits me. In exchange, he is the most loving and understanding person I could possibly hope for. Even when we yell at each other, he is nice to me and gives me the benefit of the doubt. I hope that I have made his life better in the same way he has made my life better.

One thing Jared did give me was the gift of going to the Aegean Center--3 times. That experiences changed my life in many ways. My views on the world have changed and my personal traditions. It was the perfect environment for me to grow as a person, and I really like to believe that I did. I also blossomed as an artist. I am actually making a living at what I do, and it is wonderful.

And lastly, I lucked out by having a baby girl. Daphne has changed things so much, but mostly, I get to play with her. Jared has helped me arrange it so that I get to be the primary care taker, and I get to stay home with her. I couldn't be more thankful about things in life. I do work, but I get to do it with my daughter rather than at her expense. She is blossoming into a wonderful little girl very quickly. I love being a mom, and I love being her mom. It makes me feel good when I leave the room, and she starts to scream until I come back into the room. She smiles when I wake up or when I pick her up after playing with her toys. I think she appreciates me too.

So, yes, I lucked out...I SO lucked out.

No comments: