Tuesday, October 23, 2007

First Time Mom

Ok. Not to point out the obvious, but you only get to be a first time mom once. I said that to my friend the other day, and she burst up laughing. I thought she was laughing at me, but she assured me that even though it sounded really simple, it really was a profound thought.

Since Daphne was only a few weeks old, people kept telling me that I need to enjoy her because she is going to grow up quickly and I will have felt like I lost it. And I think that really got to me because I have a complex about it or something now. I hug her all the time, I kiss her all the time, and I appreciate her so much. Jared is pretty laid back, but I am constantly telling him to look at her because she is SOOOOOOOO cute or something like that.

The truth is. I am enjoying her. I enjoy her so much. She likes me so much, almost as much as I like her. I spend every waking and every sleeping moment I can with her. She sleeps on my lap constantly and we play together. We cook dinner together and cut down the blackberry bushes together. We mow the lawn and ride the bike together. She is my new best friend.

Though I do want to have 12 kids, I think that there is something very special about what is going on in my life RIGHT NOW. I pity the people that get pregnant 3 months after their first baby. Not only does it mean that their body is going through a hell of a wringer, it also means that their first baby only got to be the first baby for a very short time.

Daphne is living up being spoiled. A new baby would change everything. I am not going to have more children until I am confident that I will be able to control my attention with both of them so that I can love and work with both of them in the same way that I have worked with Daphne. She gets a lot of attention and gets to spend time with her mom, just as it should be.

I am a first time mom, and I am cherishing it in all the ways that I know how right now. I think I could even spend more time with her. Some moms feel they need a break, but I don't get them. I spend all day and all night with her, and I feel like I could even do more.

I am living in a very special time with my baby right now. I am a first time mom with a baby that gets all my attention. That will never happen again. Though I know that I will love any future children that I will have, I get this special time with my special little girl that I love so much.

No comments: