Sunday, March 23, 2008

Children and Cultural Traditions

Sometimes, I feel silly making a big deal about certain traditions and holidays with Daphne. After all, she only a young lass, and how could she possibly be absorbing it and enjoying it any differently than if it was a normal day.

We pass our cultural traditions down through our children, and for the most part, we celebrate the holidays for our children. I realized this when I had forgotten about Easter baskets for 5 years. I got Easter baskets as a child, and I feel obligated to pass that joy on to my children.

The truth is, it is nice to have something to celebrate. It is nice to have traditions that I can use to do fun and new things with my daughter. She is just of the age now that she can pick up eggs we "hide" on the floor and put them in her basket. If we didn't have a daughter, I probably wouldn't be dying eggs or hiding them for her to find, but the truth is that it is nice to be able to pass it down.

Adults get old and crochety and lose the spirit of the holiday traditions and thank god that we have our children to keep us on track.

The fact of the matter is that it is so much fun for me to revive these traditions and share them with Daphne that I really wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: