Friday, March 14, 2008

Bread Woes

I have been having a difficult time making bread. Almost every time that I managed to find the time to create a bread loaf, I would be foiled, and it would not turn out right.

This has been an ongoing problem for years. I realized that my problem lay in the fact that I was not making standard old bread. The bread I was making was always using several grains and was almost always gluten free. Gluten free bread is not bread at all because the whole basis of bread is gluten. Needless to say, I had given up over and over again resigning myself to the idea that I would never be able to make bread properly.

Until now.

I decided to make a standard ol' loaf of white bread with yeast (there was a time Jared couldn't eat yeast either). Believe it or not, I had never done this before.

I spent the day kneading it and then letting it rise and then shaping it and letting it rise. It looked perfect. The only problem was that it was the end of the day, Daphne needed to go to bed and the bread still needed to be baked.

I called on my trusty husband and asked him if he could handle the bread when it was done while I put Daphne to bed. He agreed. I went into great detail telling him how to measure the temperature of the bread to make sure that it was done, apparently I left out one important detail.

When I came out from putting Daphne to bed a few hours later (yes, it can take that long sometimes), I asked Jared if he had taken the bread out of the oven, he said, "no."

Apparently, he had turned off the oven after it was done and left the bread in the oven.

He claims that it had never occurred to him to take the bread out. An argument ensued between he two of us. I was at fault for not being specific, and he was at fault for being dense. We worked it out.

The moral of the story, NEVER assume your husband knows what you are talking about unless you are very, very specific, especially when bread making success was so close.

I must try another day to be successful at bread...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Want to know why this is hilarious? Because last night I was making bread and I had to go to bed, so I left Alex with instructions:

"When it's risen to HERE take it out of the oven (where it rises) and set it aside while you heat the oven to 375. Don't put the bread in until the oven is totally warmed! Then bake it for 20 minutes, then check it. It should sound, smell, and look like X, Y and Z. THEN take it out and let it cool on a wire rack."

Better luck next time. :)