Sunday, April 26, 2009

Pregnancy

A lot of people I know are very open about their pregnancies, and I'm finding that this isn't the kind of person that I generally am. I'm not willing to disclose an exact due date because I don't really believe in them. I'm not sharing the sex of the baby or even any possible name choices. I just feel like a lot of these are personal decisions. Due dates change, sex can be inaccurate, and how is it possible to know you have the right name until after you've met the baby.

The due date of this baby has changed at least 3 times for different reasons. I feel comfortable choosing the latest possible date and sticking with it, but I wonder if I will have the same high spirits about it as some of the earlier due dates start to fly by.

I've now passed the third trimester landmark, and I'm still going strong. The second trimester is supposed to be the easiest, and it WAS much easier than the first for me, but I'm still having issues. The vomiting really hasn't let up a whole lot, and at this point, I don't think that it's going to go away until after I had the baby. When I was pregnant with Daphne, I was able to stop taking medication to handle the vomiting around week 16. This time, I'm absolutely miserable without it well into the third trimester, how discouraging.

However, as I head into the 8th month, I can't help but think that I am feeling really good. I believe that the baby has turned head down, which has made a lot of additional room for breathing and my vital organs. I think that my belly has actually shrank a little since the baby decided to turn. I was gaining weight steadily for a while, but that has kind of dipped off a lot recently, mainly because I'm still having a hard time eating, and I had some extra weight to begin with. I'm told it would be totally safe for me not to gain any more weight, so I'm not looking to balloon up or anything.

I was having some steady contractions at 25 weeks that had me worried about preterm labor. I eased up a lot on what I was doing, and that seems to have been useful. I'm not having any more contractions that are cause for preterm labor at this point.

It is also comforting to know that I've passed the viability mark as well as the mark that makes me statistically sane. Even if I had the baby tomorrow, it would have an 80% chance of surviving and having no lasting lifetime problems. That said, I've no interest in leaving my baby in the hospital for 12 weeks to grow up to be strong enough to come home. I'm happy carrying the baby with me everywhere that I go now.

I am starting to feel limited in my actions because of my belly. Squatting and getting up and down from sitting aren't great, neither is rolling over in bed. I'm also finding that my usually sewing stuff done on the floor is a little difficult to do as well.

At this point, I'm thankful that I'm not too tired that I have to go to bed with my 2 year old at 7pm anymore. I'm rushing to get my household and organization stuff done before I do get any bigger. There will be a time when most of my time and energy will be occupied simply by being pregnant.

Despite the bumps, I really am enjoying growing a baby and making space in our family for another life. How exciting is that?

No comments: