Sunday, September 30, 2007

Resturant Service

My father-in-law was in town this weekend and we went out to eat a couple times. I like when he is in town because we get to enjoy good meals and some good conversation.

Daphne, my daughter, has become harder to take out places. She ends up screaming at the wrong time, and for whatever reason, she becomes inconsolable. One thing that can keep her happy and occupied is something to chew on.

So, we are in a restaurant, and I ask if they can get me a celery stick or a carrot stick or any hard vegetable that she could chew on because she is a person to, and in almost every case, I have had a hard time getting anyone to comply with my requests.

One particular one stands out.

"Waitress, can I please get a celery stick or carrot stick or really any hard vegetable for my daughter."

"You know, there is a toy store next door, I'm sure you can buy something over there."

WHAT?

What kind of a response is that? I am in a restaurant and I want some food for my baby and they redirect me to the toy store?

Later, the waitress came back with a little piece of vegetable that she had taken off of someone's salad.

"Here you are miss, I had to check to make sure that we had enough for the rest of the day, but I was able to find this for her, I hope it helps."

And it did help, but what kind of a restaurant can't spare a piece of hard vegetable without checking to see if they were going to run out?

And thus ends my rant, but I do feel that there could be better service for mamas with babies that need something to eat in a restaurant. My tipping will reflect this in the future.

No comments: