Friday, September 28, 2007

More Toy Recalls

I ran into the following on the Ebay website.

"On September 26, 2007, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a recall of several types of toys due to a lead paint hazard. Items in the recall include certain Thomas & Friends Wooden Railway toys, toy gardening rakes, tools and chairs, Knights of the Sword toys, puppet theaters, spinning wheel-metal necklaces and additional children's metal jewelry.

Also, today, September 27, 2007, the CPSC also recalled several types of Kolcraft play yards due to strangulation and suffocation hazards."


I think the thing that is being communicated here is that NO toys are safe for kids. Make your own toys or buy wooden toys from sources you know.

Though I did break down the other day and buy Daphne a donkey and a goat the other day that were made of plastic. She actually chose the donkey, and I chose the goat for her, it was very endearing.

My new rant, however, is that I strongly believe in safe toys that will last generations. Kids do not need a house full of toys. It is possible to make awesome plaything out of household garbage. I filled an empty bottle with beans and she loves that thing. It cost me less than $.01 for the beans. Doing that is a wonderful recycling technique, and it is a wonderful way to keep my daughter safe.

Are there any toys out there that are safe for kids anymore? Are there any toys on the shelf anymore?

No comments: