Thursday, September 20, 2007

PIck of the Races

Many years ago, my sister and I were at the Harney County fair, and we were bored. We wandered over to the horse racing area and started to get really curious.

Somehow, we got in our heads that we wanted to start betting on the ponies. We each conjured up $3, and we found an adult and gave them our money and our pick of the race. Mind you, it was a one-time thing, and we were doing it illegally. We actually won that race and both got a little return on our $3. Next thing you know, we were at the end of the day, we had had an adviser giving us picks and betting illegally for us, and we both walked away with a little more than $100.

So, last Sunday, my sister and I decided to go back to the race meet and do some betting.. legally this time. I wasn't sure that anything really would come of it, so I placed my win ticket for $3 on a long shot, and I actually won in the first race. I continued to pick the winner of races for 4 races. It was kind of surreal because I had no real method to my madness. My sister kept losing, and then not taking my advice. Sorry sis. I walked away with around $60 that I got as a return on my $3. Not too bad. Maybe I should play more professionally. It has a better return that a lame old savings account.

No comments: