Thursday, February 28, 2008

Meat Chicks

So I ended up getting some meat chicks today. I had no idea how easy it is to grow your own chicken to eat. I got 5 birds that will be butchered when they are 8-10 weeks old, or when they reach about 5 pounds. I got Light Brahma chicks for this purpose because they were what was available. I may get some Cornish Cross chicks when they become available because they are the best for eating.

It is amazing the size difference between the new chicks and the chicks that are a week old. They seem to be getting along fine now, though I am reluctant to put them together and have them sort out a pecking order only to pull 5 of them away to butcher in 8 weeks. This is my first chick experience, and I just want to do a good job.

I just looked, and all 10 are alive and happy, so I must be doing something right.

No comments: