Sunday, January 20, 2008

Granola Recipe

OK. Here goes, but I'm not certain on the quantities because I almost never measure.

Take 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use olive oil) and put it in the bottom of a big sauce pan or dutch oven. Let it heat up to being nice and hot. Then add 4-5 cups of rolled oats. The point is to get it to the point that all of the oil is absorbed so that there is no oil in the bottom of the pan and the oats are not wet with oil at all either.

Cook the oats stirring pretty constantly for about 5 minutes. I then add 1/2 cup flax seeds and 1/2 cup sesame seeds. Stir until mixed. Then I immediately put in about 1/2 cup maple syrup. The syrup sizzles because the pot is hot, and it makes the granola bind up a little bit.

After that, add rasins and coconut mmmm.


Here is the other trick I use, which makes it the best. Take 2 tbsp of butter and melt it in another pan then add 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Cook until the sugar is totally melted. Then ad 3/4 cup of peanut butter. Stir into that 1/4 sunflower seeds. Then stir in enough granola to make it bind up pretty tightly.

I then put the two mixtures together into a big tub that I can pour out of and I shake it up and mix it up really good.

The best thing is that it ends up being granola with little crunchy bits in it. There is not too much sugar in it at all because it makes such a big quanity. It takes me about 15 minutes to do.

I also make granola bars, that I like a lot. I can't claim the recipe rights though because I stole them from Alton Brown on Good Eats (I love that guy). Though, I do add 1/2 cup of peanut butter to the binding sauce because I just like peanuts so much. That recipe is available here. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_103882,00.html

No comments: