Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Freedom Trail

One of the things that I really wanted to do while I was in Boston was walk the Freedom Trail. I told Melissa about this, and we decided to do it. She hadn't been in a long time.

Before I start my long rant about how cool it was, I must tell you that I have been wanting to do this for a long time. My boyfriend of a long time ago used to live in Boston, and he told me all about how wonderful and cool the Freedom Trail is, and ever since, I have wanted to visit. Melissa and I have an awful good time doing things together, and when we haven't seen each other for a while and we get together to do something with historical significance, it is lovely. This was one of the best days of my life. We had an awful lot of fun, and I will remember it forever. Here are some photos I have to share.

Here we are in the Boston Commons. Can you tell that it was the height of the cold, winter season (actually, winter hadn't even technically started yet).


No one was playing tennis that day.

The Commons are cool because you realize that this place that is now just a park was once actually used to graze cattle and stuff. It was actually useful--the center of attention, the common meeting ground of early Americans. Now it is just where college students hang out. It is hard to see.

Apparently, they buried people there too. Here is an old graveyard.



I don't know about you, but I love to be outside when the ground looks like this. How old do you think those cobblestones are?


I love little details like this in old towns, don't you.

Hello mister squirrel. (We were trying to look at where the Freedom Trail Started.

Ah.. A MONUMENT. No clue who it was for, we just liked it.

Ew... Dirty Boston snow.

Ahh... I building with historical significance. (I think it is a state house of some type, old or new, not sure....)


I have FOUND the freedom trai
We are WALKING the freedom trail . Daphne was on my back.


A monument to prove that the land was used for more than just college studying and drug buying.

Granary Burying Ground. This is cool. Paul Revere and John Hancock and Mother Goose and all kinds of cool people were buried here.


Graveyards creep me out.


This creeps me out even more.

This is the top of Paul Revere's grave. We fixed the flag on it to pay our respects.




John Hancock's phallic grave.


This is my kind of city. They have a bronze donkey.


This is the building the Tea Party started in.

This is where the Declaration was read to the people for the forst time.
Faniel Hall!

OK. The trail goes on, but it was cold, and we were ready for some shopping and food.

We had such a fun (and historic day!)

No comments: