Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I decided to try to visit Pompeii. I got on the train after asking directions from the nice people at the hostel. After waiting for two hours on the platform reading my book, the train finally stopped. I got off at the Pompeii stop only to get off and look around very confused about where I was. I was told that the site was right across the street from the excavations, but when I got off the train, I was standing in the middle of the actual present day city of Pompeii. I walked around for quite a while and found the beautiful church where I sat and ate some yogurt. Confused, I walked around quite a bit more and caught the train back home.

When I got home, I ate a ham sandwich, which seemed to be the things to soothe all problems at the time. I passed the rest of the day reading my book and sleeping.

It was at that point that I decided that I was going to rest and only do the things that I wanted to do. I was very tired, and trying to push to see and do everything was clearly not my style. I wasn’t having fun, and interesting disastrous started happening to me when I did start to push it. I really did decide that it was time for me to rest and just enjoy myself in the city.

When I woke up from my nap, I went up the street to get some groceries. On my way back down, I bought some pistachio gelato to soothe and repair my defeated soul. It went a long way to serve that purpose. I sat in the square and watched the sun set in front of the square with the fountain. I fit in well with the old men sitting on the steps talking over the day’s gossip and getting ready to retire before doing it all over again. Maybe Pompeii will happen tomorrow.

No comments: