Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Today's Greek Journey

So the computers here at the Center were down yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to write anything to you. I found out that all computers on the island were down, so it wasn't bad. I hear that that happens whenever there are thunder storms (and there were). That's Ok because I went to bed. I view it as one of the last times that I am going to be able to sleep for a while.

I have packed my schedule in a very beautiful way, and I'm not required to work as hard as I am and as hard as I have committed myself, but I know that the more that I put into something the more I get out of it in the end. And knowing what a beautiful place it is here. Every time I step out of my door, I think of how lucky I am to have found a place, and in fact, how lucky I am that such a place even exists in this whole wide world. It's worth every second it took to get here, as well as every dollar I spent making it work! You can tell anyone that.

Here are the interesting things that I've run into. I've discovered that I am actually picking up the Greek language quite fast. When people ask "Ti canis?"(how are you), I am able to give them a response. I walked into a bakery and knew that I could have ordered my entire thing in Greek, but it got a little complex when they didn't have what I wanted. I know that I will do this at least by the time that I leave the island.

I have also discovered that I am learning to read intuitively. It's more a survival thing, because when you are trying to buy groceries, you need to know what you're buying, and nothing is written in English, literally NOTHING. So when you are shopping for something, you need to know if you are buying hair oil or olive oil, and if the fish you are looking at is squid or tuna (an actual mistake I made). I was in the store today, and I realized that I actually did know what I was reading. Somehow, the thought came to me that I was holding milk, and I was, and it was not even near the refrigerated aisle (they don' refrigerate their milk here).

I have gotten quite good at saying hello to people on the street. One other story ties into this. Yesterday, I was quite late for my class, and I was totally lost. As a pirate, I was making my way through the maze of streets, not wanting to raid and plunder, but to find my way to the darkroom (conveniently not connected to the school and down a very windy street). As I was hurrying along, I saw that an old man was taking up the whole road. I then looked more closely, and I discover that it was an old man and his donkey. My heart almost fell out of my chest, but I kept my cool, walked around them and made it to my class (not without being scolded about being late).

Today, however, I was hurrying off to the Center to start my drawing class, and I saw the old man again. Sure enough, he had is trusty donkey by his side. I wasn't in a hurry really this time, so I walked slowly around them and looked carefully at them. I saw that he was selling lettuce off the back of his donkey. It was the most touching and beautiful scenes that I've ever seen, and I plan to make a whole art piece around it (I'm nervous about asking if I could photo him). Rather than just become the girl that always passes silently, I decided it only polite to at least address him. I have him a nice quiet "yasas" (hello). He looked up at me and smiled like I had made his day, and he said "CALIMARA" (Good day). I flashed him a beautiful smile back, and walked on. Little did he know that he made my day much more than I made his!

I plan to ask if it would be polite to take a picture. It is going to be the basis of my work here in photography if so!

I also ran into another beautiful thing the other day as well. It was thundering outside, but the clouds were far off, so I decided to go for a walk. John commented to me, "Don't go get wet now." It was a joke, but you know how these things can turn serious real fast! I walked out with my camera intending to take some photos of the clouds that I was falling in love with, and it started to rain softly. I thought, "I'm from Oregon, I can handle this." And I kept walking on.

However, it started to really pour, and I diverted from taking photos. I needed to make it either to my apartment or the center very fast, and neither were close at all. Then the hail started coming down. It was bigger than the size of peas, and it was really starting to hurt. I walked by a bakery with some old men (no women) in it making loud conversation as they smoke cigarettes, drank coffee, made good conversations and played with their dogs. They saw me passing them by, but they couldn't take it. Two of them walked out into the street where I was and pulled me into the bakery. They were very polite about it, but it was probably the most touching thing I had ever experienced in my entire life. These two old men actually cared enough to retrieve me from the rain and take care of me while it hailed. This culture is so beautiful, and I'm so glad to be a part of it!

I found out that it was a little expensive to do photography they way that they want me to do it. We talked about this on the phone yesterday, but I think I got it solved. I am going to try to use some supplies here, and maybe have you ship me something (very light, so very cheap). I am going to continue in photography, as it is an important skill to me, and I'm not going to let finances get in the way of anything. This many not be my main focus, but it will be an important focus. I can't not come here and not record the world the way that I know how to best. I discussed this with the professor, and she is willing to let me use my own film. I just need to get some canisters to hold the film now.

Tomorrow I have basic drawing at 10:00 (I love this class) painting at 13:00 and writing at 18:00. I am going to have 3 pieces of writing done for tomorrows class (because they are just crawling non-stop out of my head).

I took my first long walk alone today. I had to go buy a painting supply, and it was on the other side of town. It was fun to walk around and see what it was the town had to offer. I am definitely in the nicest part of town!

I also went to try to sort out my hot-water issue. I went to my landlord, and she said, no it is working fine, and then walked away. I was like, OK. Siega Siega (slowly, slowly(another motto of the Greek service industry). She did give me one solution. However, it looks like I am going to be taking two showers a day. One in which I can wash my hair quickly and one in which I can wash my body quickly. I'm going to have to do something, as I haven't been able to shower for 2 days now. GRRRR. I wouldn't mind except that it's so cold here, so when you take a cold shower, it just makes it worse. I hate shivering. If it weren't for that, I would be just fine!

When it all gets totally overwhelming, all you have to know is that Boogatza will fix it all. I had one yesterday when all was looking dim in the photography world. It was GREAT. Cheered me right up. I have some chocolate milk I'm saving for a rainy day. Other than that, bread soaked in olive oil with cheese on it has made the best meal so far. It's excellent. Olive oil is heaven. We're going to have to find cheap suppliers in the US, because this stuff is excellent! I've also discovered the great joy of bananas and yoghurt. It's what I eat every day for breakfast. The yogurt here is just divine. I could eat it for the rest of forever. These two meals, together, are making life great for me. Throw in a boogatza, and you're in heaven!

It must be said that I had a large win yesterday when I made my first painting. It was nothing to be proud of, it would out of proportion, and I didn't do the exercise very well (though it wasn't THAT horrible), but the most important part was that I stepped near a canvas, and that my friend, is something more valuable than life itself. I am conquering some real fears that have actually been hindering me as a person here. Not just in art, in so many areas of life. This is a true education, and I couldn't ask for anything more except to have you here sharing every moment of beauty with me.

No comments: