Saturday, March 26, 2005

Falling in Love with the Process

Today, I woke up and then got ready and went and read part of my man in the Odyssey. Then I went to the darkroom with this incredible photographer and we listened to some crazy music while producing some neat works of art. I have at least two prints that I consider portfolio-worthy at this point. I am going to talk to Liz (the instructor) on Monday and tell her that I'm trying to set up a show for some local galleries, and we're going to work out getting 15 prints out and ready for that. That way I have something that I just have to come home with and mat and frame. I'm going to sell my prints for $300 each and then I'm going to circulate them around the galleries in downtown Portland if that is possible. I'm also going to see if I can do some freelance work for some magazines/newspapers and other groups around Portland!

I realized what it was like to fall in love with the artistic process today. I really and truly fell in love with the process of producing prints in the darkroom. I always sort of thought that it was cool to be in the darkroom and make my own prints, but I've discovered over the last week how much control I have in that room in my ability to make a communication pop up off the page. I was watching one of my masterpieces surface in the developing tray and my heart skipped a beat when I realized that that things was MINE and that no one else in the world would be able to print it the same way that I had done so. I fell in love with knowing my art and being able to use it to really get a product. I left the darkroom shortly after that, but I've been hankering to get back in there because I'm in love with the process and the filters and the chemicals and the developer and EVERYTHING that there is to be in love with down there. I'm so amazed.

I made a really good dinner of avocado sauce (avocado, lime, garlic, salt) with cheese on Greek bread. It was divine, and it may just be my fad food over the next week or two because I have a ton of avocadoes and the good oranges have gone out of season!

I then went and watched the Greek sun glow orange and red turning the whole world those colors before dropping below the horizon to come visit you tell him hello for me!

And that was the day. I am now in here trying to produce many pieces of writing while naming and rearranging all of the digital photos that I've taken recently. When I have done that, I get to choose my true masterpieces out of the 1500 pictures I've taken in the last three weeks and work on them! THEN, I have another date with Odysseus! I have to finish it next week which means that I will have read it in 4 weeks.

No comments: