Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Goals for Greece

I have now made my dream of studying art on a Greek island a reality and I want to be very productive as an artist. Following are my areas of study and what I want to accomplish in them while I am here. The schedule that I have decided to take is almost unmanageable, and I am told that no students have been able to maintain it in the past. I am determined to make progress in all areas.

Following are the products I wish to create and the skills and abilities that I wish to leave the Aegean Center with.

Art History:
• A fundamental understanding of the basics of Art History that I can add onto my present knowledge. A specialized knowledge of Greek Art History.
• Either a painting, drawing or paper should be the end-product of this class.

Basic Drawing:
• This class should be completed with a basic understanding of the fundamentals of drawing.
• I would like to add six new drawings to my portfolio to take home with me (pastels are preferred).

Creative Writing:
• This class will be completed with an even greater appreciation and understanding of this art.
• I would like to add 26 new pieces of writing to my portfolio as well as go home with a book started.

Digital Photography:
• In this class, I would like to master and understand all controls on my camera.
• I should leave the class with a full understanding of the Adobe Photoshop program.
• I would like to leave this class with a basic understanding of all aspects of the art of Digital Photography.
• I should leave this class with no less than 1,000 raw images that can be worked with later and used to show people my Greece Experiment.
• I should leave this class with no less than 15 final and professional prints that are portfolio/display quality.

Figure Drawing:
• I should leave this class with the basic understanding and ability to draw the human figure.
• I would like to leave this class with three drawings of the human figure that I would be proud to hang on the wall.

Literature:
• This class is very important to my understanding of the world that I am in.
• I will leave this class with a very nice foundation in Greek Literature.
• I will re-read the Odyssey to full understanding.
• I will continue to read other plays, poems and books until I have a minor background in Greek Literature that can be continued while I am away.
• I would like to purchase a copy of the Greek books that I read.

Painting:
• I would like to leave this class without the fear of showing my paintings to other people.
• My utter terror of painting needs to leave me.
• I would like to add 3 good paintings to my portfolio of work.

Photographic History:
• I would like to leave this class with a more full knowledge of the history of photography that I can use later in life.
• This class goal fits in with that of Art History.

Sculpture: • I would like to leave this class with a basic understanding of marble sculpture.
• I want to add one or possibly two sculptures to my artistic portfolio.

Silver Photography:
• I need to leave this class with any present holes in photography filled in.
• I need to discover new products for me to use as a photographer.
• I need to have 200 raw images for use later.
• I need to have 15 photo prints that are portfolio quality.
• I need to use my special photo equipment to create images on canvasses that can then be painted.

Final note on The Aegean Center for the Fine Arts
I need to leave this opportunity a lot more full as an artist. I am gaining the understanding of the ability to see beauty in everything. My ultimate goal is to leave here with a sizeable portfolio that I will be able to use to display myself as an artist. I also would like to change my frame of mind on life so that it is as it has been this past week here in the wonderful country of Greece.

No comments: