Monday, March 07, 2005

Dimitri

My name is Dimitri. You don't know me, nor do any people from any land that prospers. I live in a far off country that your land is embarrassed about putting in your history books. Nor does your geography text point you in my direction. We will never meet. You do, however, fight for my cause. Your history texts do talk about the evils of the government I live with daily. However, your help is not in the name of help. It is in the name of the interests of your government. That is why I still live daily devoid of the joys of life. My small country has nothing to offer your leaders. We have no potential of great world power. I write not to rant. I have talents I am not free to explore. I'm not free to open the bakery I want to open. I know not how far my untapped skills go. I have trouble finding food. Other people tell me what my freedoms are. I have not the rights you do. I even must write this piece in secret. When something happens that I think is wrong, it's not legal for me to voice how I feel. I could, but death would swiftly follow. I have not the right to believe in art or spirituality or any higher power. The old churches in my country have been converted into the metal factories that I am forced to work long hours in. I do not wish to bring children into this cruel world, but birth control being inaccessible to me, I have three. Many times, my stomach goes empty to feed theirs. They do not get an education, as educated people are free. They know not the trap they are caught in, nor do they know it doesn't exist everywhere. My children will be told where to work and what to do with any of their own dreams being denied to them. I can't leave or go on vacation at my will. There are guards at my borders willing to kill. I do not get to choose my doctor or my car (these are not available in any case). I have no freedom of choice in what I buy. The work I produce need not be of high quality, as the same level of work will get me the same either way. Nor do I feel sorry for myself. This is who I am. My life is only one situation out of the thousands of people in my country. My neighbor's story is similar, and she has her own hidden, untapped skills and her own children who will never see their full potential. You have the great advantage of being prosperous. You have money and birth control. You have churches and education. So do not just say that this is bad without understanding, and do not support it's eradication with the government only using it as an excuse to continue it's own corrupt aims. Take a look outside your textbook and see if this is right. Take my individual situation and weigh it against your own, but make sure you look. Our government's agendas mean little against feeding a hungry child. Inspired by a free Albanian

No comments: