Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Long Ride

Jared had to head out to Delphi today, so we agreed that I was going to ride my new Ecobike up to milk the goat. It is about 20 miles round trip if you really get down and count it out. The problem is that the goat lives on the top of a mountain (Mount Richmond), and not only is it a very steep mountain, the road is a dirt road. That is not a good situation.

The bike, before I got on it, weighed 80 pounds. The bike weighs about 50 pounds, the baby 22 pounds and the milk was 8 pounds.

Because the bike is brand new, I am working on a new routine to get the batteries all charged up. I had to ride up to the top of the mountain on about half of a charge. As I was climbing the last big mountain, the bike died on me completely.

I thought I was going to die, that I would never get home and that I was doomed. It was 95 degrees outside, and I was in the heat of it, with no water.

Dumb, I know, I just didn't think it would actually happen. And so, I spent an hour and a half of the afternoon riding home up hills and mountains to get home. I made it home safe and sound, and you can bet that I was taking a cold shower within the minute.

No comments: