Friday, May 30, 2008

A Day in Manhattan

Jared, Daphne and I headed in to Manhattan for the day to have an adventure.

We went in on the bus with all the commuters, and we were stuck in traffic. Apparently, a crane fell over in the city, and we got stuck right behind it. It is all over the news.

When we got in the city, we went to visit some friends that work at our church. We have not seen them in ages, and it was so much fun to introduce them to Daphne and to see the lives that they have built for themselves.

After that, we headed out and found a deli to get food at. We made a trek across the city to central park where the plan was to sit and eat some lunch. Daphne got a huge kick out of the park because she was able to run around wherever she wanted to, and she came back to us to get food.

We decided to let her have the day she wanted, so we took several hours walking with her in the park.

We happened upon the Carousel in Central Park, and true to my grandmother, we stopped to get on. All of the horses are orginonal carved art, and the carousel is supposed to be one of the best in the country. Daphne and I got our tickets to go on, and Jared spent the whole ride getting photos of us riding around. Daphne did not love it so much, but we did have a good time going up and down!

After we walked some more, we ran into the zoo, so we decided to go in. We went to the children's zoo where there were goats and lambs and pigs and llamas and cows. Daphne had fun playing with them. She was used to them and very comfortable with them. We headed on over to the main part of the zoo and checked out the penguins. They were so fantastic, and Daphne just loved watching them dive down and play around.

We also got to see the Polar Bears in the park. They were playing around rolling around in the water, it sure was a lot of fun to watch. The zoo was not as big as I thought it would be, but we had a lot of fun anway.

After hopping on the subway, we ended up at the Met. I wanted to get a gander at some more works of art I had missed before. We hit up the painting area where I got to see another Boticelli and some Filpo Lippi paintings. I also got to see the Vermeer, Degas, Van Gough, Manet and Monet collection. Daphne and Jared loved the Japanese art. I am so glad that I have gotten the chance to look at some more wonderful works of art. This is a hobby of mine, and I love to do it.

We headed home and got home just in time to go out to eat. We went to the best clam bar where we got steamed clam and calamari. The steamed clams are to die for, and I think I could eat them for dinner every day of the year for the rest of my life with no complaints!

I am for sure a New England girl in the sense that I LOVE sea food!

No comments: