Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

This was our last day in Rome. It was supposed to be very magical, and it turned out to be for me at least.

We spent the morning in the Roman Forum with Jeffrey. It was a lot of fun to walk around what used to be a busy street and try to put it all back together. I had been there before, but being guided through it with Jeffrey really was a big help.

We ended the morning tour in front of the Coliseum, and we were allowed to go wherever we wanted.

A group of us ran over to the church that holds Michelangelo’s Moses for the tomb of Pope Julius. We were kicked out quickly because the church was closing, but I at least got the joy of standing in front of it.

After that, I walked with a group of people to another church. I went in and they continued on to the church that they wanted to go see. My church turned out not to be so good, so I ended up meeting the group on the steps of another church that was closed.

We decided to go see if a museum was open, so we walked past yet another church that was designed my Michelangelo on the way to the subway station that we took to the museum we were interested in.

The museum didn’t look as promising as I thought it would, so I left the group alone and decided to walk across Rome alone on my way home.

It was a wonderful walk. I went into any church I could, and I saw a lot of good things. I ended up seeing the Deposition of the Cross by Michelangelo as well as many Carravaggio paintings. The afternoon turned out to be a very good one. I was ready to head to my Greek land.

No comments: