Sunday, August 19, 2007

Random Act of Kindness

Here is my Random Act of Kindness story.

In March of 2005, I went to Greece alone, without my husband to study in photography school so that I might meet my dream of becoming a photographer. I had a huge suitcase because I was supposed to be staying for 4 months, and the amount of photography equipment I had was incredible.

There was a ferry strike the day that I got in on my plane, so I was stuck on the mainland of Greece with no idea of where I was or the culture that I was in. I had to find a hotel fast, so I booked one and set out to find where it was. I was unable to read or understand the signs because the were all in a different alphabet and a different language that I didn't understand at that time.

A young man on the bus saw me and saw the address I was going to. He got off the bus at the stop I was supposed to get off at and helped me get to the hotel.

The next day, I was trying to lug my suitcase around to get to the ferry. I had to use the metro, and I did not see an elevator. I was trying very hard to carry the suitcase up some stairs, and a man about 80 years old came up to me and grabbed the bag. Rather than take it from me, as I thought he was going to do, he carried it up 2 flights of stairs for me.

When I said, Thank you, thank you... He turned to me and said, "there is nothing to thank," and he walked away.

It brought tears to my eyes. Especially when I saw the elevator when I turned around to walk away.

No comments: