Thursday, April 07, 2005

Complete Update

Hello, It’s been a while since I’ve written, but I’m going to try to describe what’s been going on here as accurately as possible. I will also try to write more, but I get really into describing things and such, and by the time I am done working (sometimes at 2AM) I’m exhausted and ready to just fall over in hopes that I can make it to my next class at 8AM. Though that sounds like torture, it is exactly the correct balance for me in life, and I am enjoying it more than I can possible use written words to describe.

First of all, I must say that “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” is as accurate a movie on the Greek lifestyle as can me made. I laugh every day at things that come up that are so accurately described in that movie. I just can’t tell you how amazingly funny it is. And the name Niko is everywhere. I was at a festival last week and everywhere I turned there was a person named Niko! Anyway, if you want to get an idea (culturally) of what I am getting here check it out. It’s accurate right down to the lamb roasting on Easter HMMMMM (can’t wait). Speaking on the food line, I must divert to talk about food. I must say that about 80% of the outside of class conversations that I have involve food. 1.) good ways to make it, 2.) good ways to eat it, 3.) good things to eat 4.) good places to eat, 5.) the general goodness of it and so on. I suggest incorporating Greek food 100% into your diet. It is hard to get used to at first, but it is much worth it. And I must say that the Greeks are actually some of the healthiest people on the planet (at least they were before things like Cheetos became available here). The first two ingredients in every Greek meal are 1.) Olive oil and 2.) Garlic. Without those, you are completely lost. Together, they make a purely Greek and delectable starter that is the beginning of any meal. Many Greeks consume 50 kilos of olive oil a year (note that a kilo is 2.2 pounds). That said, I do miss tacos, and they are so rare here that I was talking to a Greek the other day about them, and they were completely unknown to her. Needless to say, I explained it in terms of pita bread and lamb! I’m not kidding! I have had unforgettable experiences in food since eating here. First of all, there are the cheapest food item. Suvlake’s. I love them. They are a baked, warm pita bread with your choice of lamb, pork and chicken inside. Then there are your choices of vegetables (never get them with onions). On top of that, there is this stuff called Tutziki. Needless to say, I will be eating a lot of them when I am at home. Tutziki is yoghurt with garlic and cucumbers. Disgusting sounding, I know, but actually quite enjoyable! I got to eat musaka (please excuse all spellings, as I only know them with the Greek alphabet, which doesn’t always translate) the other day. I loved it, and I will be eating it forever.

Needless to say, I have been doing some cooking at home myself. Every day after my afternoon classes and before my evening classes, I make pesto spaghetti (I love this stuff), bread fried in olive oil with cheese melted on top, fried zucchini and fried cheese. I look forward to this part of my day every day, and I wish that it would last forever! I do need to expand my horizons a little though, but it’s rather hard to do with one frying pan, one plate, a fork, a butter knife and a spoon! My friend, when she was here, scared me by telling me that the ketchup was really bad (which it is), but the other food more than makes up for it. And all of that isn’t even starting to talk about the pastries that I get at the bakery. I like to just go sit in front of the bakery and smell it. If I know someone going, I will walk with them, and yes, I am guilty of eating a bugatza, tiropita, milopita, croissant, or chocolate croissant every once in a while!

On the art side of life, I am making some pretty incredible breakthroughs in all areas at once, and it is overwhelming to me (in a good way) every day when I am in class. I realize how much I have progressed, and I am just so happy to know that I am making such incredible progress. I still wonder what I am going to look like on the other side, but I know that if I progressed no more at this point that I would be incredibly happy.

This week, I worked with my photography teacher with some personal one-on-one time again, and we are starting to understand what it is that I am doing that I shouldn’t be doing, and my knowledge and professional quality of products is coming way up. I was getting some good photos before I came here, but they were by accident, I can now produce more consistent results (at least with a little more practice). I am going to study many areas of photography while I am here. I have already done some work with night photography and I have also done some work in the studio. I plan to do many still lifes and also to do some portraits. I have pretty much decided that I am going to do a series of architecture, and I am going to try to get about 15 prints to go in my portfolio along that line before I leave.

In digital photography, I have taken almost 2,000 photos, and there are more to come. I have some final photos that when I print, will go in my portfolio. I am so excited about them. I am pretty dedicated and excited to set up my own studio at home. I may lose the way of the darkroom in some ways when I am complete. I feel that transition here. Most importantly, I have gained the confidence here to be able to work as a photographer. It has been a dream of mine, but I was sure I couldn’t do it. I now see it happening right before my eyes, and

I am excited about it. I know that I can make money doing it, and I am very excited! I am currently working on 5 paintings, and I have three more in the works. I have two that are completely done, and just waiting to be taken off their stretchers to come home for you. I hear that I am making incredible progress in painting, and I really feel that way too. Especially considering that I was scared of it when I came here, and now every spare second I have is in my studio. What a wonderful art form.

I have also had the great pleasure of working with one of the world’s mosaic masters. She had done quite a bit of study on art, and she is this incredible artist. I admire her so much, and I understand her on so many levels. She is teaching me more than I could ever ask to know, and my mosaic is coming out beautifully. I plan to do more when I come home, as commissions in the area are possible. I saw a mosaic that she is working on for a church. She has spent probably more than a thousand hours on it, and I just adore it. I will have to take picture of it to show to you!

I also attacked meter the other day and was able to write a poem using perfect meter and rhyming. My writing instructor was impressed, and I have tackled yet another area that was scary to me! I have officially completed the Odyssey, which is one of the most incredible books in history, I love it! I am now reading the poems of a Greek poet from the very same island that I am on. I visited the cave he used to write in and he is credited with the invention of iambic pentameter. I love the poems, and we will be doing Sappho next! I am going to tackle the Iliad next. I am very much so excited about that. I know through what I am developing so much here, and I LOVE it every day.

Last night, I worked with a good Greek friend of mine Ageliki on taking some studio photos. She is just incredible, and she promises to give me some Greek recipes. I hope to see her married soon, as that’s what all Greeks want, and she wants to come to America at some point, so you may meet her. These are the things that I am doing. Going any further into specific would drive you and me crazy with more and more pages of my rambling writing.

The next and most exciting hi-light is that in about an hour I will departing on a boat for the island of Santorini. I explained all about it earlier, but I am so excited about taking photos there, I know that I will come back with a memory cards stuffed and full! So on that note, I am signing off until I get back on Sunday night!

Adoringly, Chris

P.S. If you want to get an even greater understanding of where I am, you can go to the following websites. www.parosweb.com (many of the places listed on the website I go to frequently) http://www.paros-online.com/index.htm (the most accurate site I know of) http://www3.cybex.gr/beachreport/camlive/paros/ ( a live camera view of the port that I see more than 3 times a day)!

No comments: