Thursday, January 20, 2005

Visa, Governments, Travel

I think it's kind of odd in this world that the citizens don't have free reign to go where they please. I recently ran into a situation where I needed to look into getting a visa to go to Greece. The rule is that if you stay longer than 90 days that you need a visa. Unfortunately, I will be there a little longer than 90 days, so I have to look into getting a visa.

I called the consulate in San Fransisco, and they didn't really have a visa for what I want. They sent me the information for a student visa, but per the Greek constitution, you aren't really a student if you aren't in a Greek university. So, I've decided to just go, and get my 90 days extended while I'm there. I'm told it's much easier.

However, I have a really good friend moving to Austria, and he's trying to get a work permit. I'm told that to do that you have to prove that you couldn't possibly be filling a job that someone else could be filling that lives in the country. I'm told it takes an act of God.

I have some suggestions. Only talk to ONE person at an office. Get their name and extension and call back as much as you need to. Be annoying, but firm....

It's the only way.

No comments: