Thursday, January 20, 2005

Minimum Wage

I had a realization when I was talking to my friend from Pennsylvania that minimum wage laws are actually a lot different around the states then I thought. Here's what I was thinking. She was talking about her job and minimun wage etc., but I was thinking, minimun wage isn't THAT much really. Oregon minimun wage is sitting somewhere between $7.05 and $7.20. That's totally crazy. Of course we also have the highest unemployment rate, but that's never advertised.

I realized that federal minimum wage is quite low you know. It's down in the $5.00 dollar range. I could never imagine making only $5.00 an hour, yet some brave Americans do. Here's to those people that still get up off the couch (or out of bed--whichever you may choose) to go to work and be productive, if the wages aren't perfect. And here's to those companies that takes good enough care of their employees to pay them what they're worth. And also, here's to those people that are worth so much more than they're being paid!!!

No comments: