Friday, January 07, 2005

The Greece Kit

So here I am packing off to Europe, and I'm trying to put together what I'm deeming my Greece kit. What do I need to take with me half-way around the world? This is what I've got so far.

Documentation to prove who I am (passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc)
2 Cameras and their accessories
20 Cd's to burn the photos onto
1 notebook to record things about my photos and what I'm doing
1 medium suitcase with sundry items (clothes, toothbrush, etc.)
1 pair of shoes that can work as dress up and dress down shoes
1 Plane ticket
2 Empty credit cards
1 Paycheck on hand to pay off those credit cards
A few photos of my lovely family and husband
1 visa to stay in Europe

What else do you think I need?

Add a small calculator to convert the EURO‘s to US dollars until you get familiar with the exchange rate

Take a portable clothes line and some clothes pins so you can wash out your socks in your room.

take an electrical convertor to change the voltage for your electronic things like computers and cameras

Take a little swiss army knife (pack in suitcase and check that luggage)or one of those all-in one-tools, never know when a screwdriver is needed, or a bottle opener

pack a second pair of shoes that can be dressy(?) or good to walk in, a change to another shoe is GREAT after walking all day in the first pair

Hey, that\‘s GREAT advice--all the things I should have thought of, but didn\‘t because I\‘ve never left the country...

I think you should take some American chocolate too, just in case Greek chocolate turns out to be weird. :)

Hey, that\‘s GREAT advice--all the things I should have thought of, but didn\‘t because I\‘ve never left the country...

I think you should take some American chocolate too, just in case Greek chocolate turns out to be weird. :)

Greek language CDs, CD player and small dictionary (that stuff tends to be expensive outside the country--they know they‘ve got you). MONEY BELT--because tourists are fair game. THE REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT STUFF: Compass to remind yourself you don‘t have the slightest idea where you are. A hatpin for those times you need to remember THAT you are ("Wake up, Alice dear!"). A resume with several photos of yourself to help you remember that you don‘t have the slightest idea WHO you are. SOUTH PARK DVD so you can learn the words to "Blame Canada." A pack of Gaulois cigarettes for self defense on trains. A dozen rolls of toilet paper because you just never know. A hardback copy of WAR AND PEACE in case you need to make room in your luggage (and you know darned well you weren‘t going to read it anyway). A half gallon of butter pecan ice cream in case Greek ice cream turns out to be weird. A picture of Dege so you can think of all the ways you might make his miserable excuse for an existence just a tiny bit happier. And how COULD you have forgotten to bring photos of your mule and your goat?

No comments: