Thursday, February 03, 2005

Farmer at Heart

I am really a farmer at heart. It's such an interesting thing! I grew up on a farm, but I never was really able to appreciate how lucky I was to be able to go outside into the great outdoors and create things for myself to do to entertain myself. I now consider it to be my greatest skill!


However, I never knew that I liked animals so much. Sure, I spent time helping with the cattle when needed, but I never really liked it.


When I went to boarding school in Oregon, I would help to take care of the animals, and even then I still didn't LOVE IT. I was too busy doing my studying to notice this missing facet of my life.


However, when my husband and I got married and moved into our first house, there was a noticeable missing feature in my life.


My grandma called me up one day and told me that she was going to send me her goat. At first I didn't like the idea of having to take care of him, etc., however I got very excited about it and had her send him over. Since then we have been inseperable.


My goat asked for a friend for his Birthday, and that's where the mule is. Actually, the mule is Greg's pet mule. :) They get along really great.


And while I had them, they were the most important part of my life. Almost as important as a kid.


Now, my husband and I have bought a condo, and they won't fit in my patio (well, they would, but not very well), so it's time to send them on. I have found the best place that is quite close to me for them to stay, but as I took them on their walk today, I realized that there was going to be quite the void in my life with them gone.


It's now on my list that further down the road when I have a house and some kids that I once again have a barn and a goat with a pet mule... until then, a big picture of them will have to do.

No comments: