Friday, May 05, 2006

Four Wheel Adventure

See. I did say that I was going to post again soon, and I did. I'm so happy when I keep my promises.

Today was an incredible day. I woke up and went on a tour of the Church of a Hundred Doors here with our Art History Professor. He is so smart about everything, and I really love learning things from him. I gained a lot of knowledge about the church, and I was also able to scope out some interesting photo ops there.

After that, I was hired by the person that runs the apartments that I live in to photograph them and put together a portfolio of the different apartments. He was really happy with my work, and he asked me to extend my job. Officially, this means that I've had a job in Greece and when I'm older I can say, "When I lived and worked in Greece!"

At about 12:00, Jared and I decided to rent a four wheeler and go around the island with it. It was a lot of fun. We started in the port town and went counter clockwise around the island. I got to take a lot of cool photos of him, and I also just got to take a lot of cool photos. It's been a long time since we both just up and went and did something like that, and I know we both enjoyed it even though it was quite cold.

When we got home, I decided to go back out again and brave the weather. It turned out to be a great idea. I had an incredible time alone, and I got to discover places I have been wondering about since the first day I was on the island over a year ago. I visited the ancient quarries twice. On my way to Lefkes, I ran into thousand year old olive trees that I have been fixing to photograph for over a year. When I got to Lefkes, I happened upon some old windmills where the grain used to be ground into flour. They are deserted and falling apart. I got the chance to photograph them and explore them, and that is something that I have been looking forward to doing since I made it here. It was very exciting for me. One of them even had a donkey outside. I went to visit him, but he wasn't to excited at the idea of having a visitor. Jared says that I have donkey radar, and I would have to say that he is right. :)

On my way back, I was able to stop and visit many of the old sites. It really made my day to do all of the things that I did.

I'm going to post some photos up here so you can see us in action.

We head to Naxos tomorrow. More stories and photos when we return.

No comments: