Wednesday, June 01, 2005

My Own darkroom

I've been a photographer for the past five years, and have ever so conveniently lived at a school that had all of the darkroom materials necessary. It was great. However, I moved three months ago, and the darkroom was something that I was going to need. In addition to that, going to art school really put the flame under me to get something set up.

On our patio, we have a closet that is very small. It is probably 5 feet by 5 feet at the most, and it was filled with the stuff that we weren't using in the house. I decided that I was going to convert it into my darkroom. I took everything out, took the entire shelving system down and started from scratch. I painted it, carpeted it and then put the whole shelving system back into it. Then I set up the darkroom with everything I need. These are the things that I still need.

8 8X10 or 11X14 Developing Trays
A safe light, though it is possible to work without this.
2 or 3 more packages of paper to print on
A grain focuser or magnifying glass
Some Selenium toner
4 or 5 gallon chemical holders

Other than that, I should be all set up. I am totally excited about it.

In addition to all of that, I have my own digital darkroom as well. I've got my new printer and scanner and I have Photoshop on my computer. I'm really ready to start promoting myself as a photographer. It is DEFINITELY an exciting thing!

No comments: